fbpx Frequently Asked Questions | Huron University


Learn More

Donate Now

Are You In Crisis?

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Please note: Some FAQs below pertain to a "business as usual" framework. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, please refer to Huron's COVID-19 informational page here:

COVID-19 Informational Page

Residence - Helpful hints for moving in

Residence - Helpful hints for moving in

  • How Does Move-In Day Work?

    Move-In Day is Sunday, September 6, 2020 and is the official start to Orientation Week and your life at Huron. You will be given specific instructions regarding the time you will be moving in, depending on which residence you are assigned

    When you arrive on campus, you will be instructed to park in one of six spots to have your belongings unloaded from your car. Please make sure ALL YOUR STUFF IS LABELLED! This is crucial, as there is an army of people, from sophs to staff to our President Barry Craig, all waiting to get your car unloaded and your belongings brought up to your room and we don’t want anything to get lost.

    While your car is being unloaded, you will be directed to make your way up to the Kingsmill Room (there will be many people available to help you) where you will receive your room keys, your O-Week kit, your RezNet information, and your parking pass. After that, it’s all about setting up your room before it’s time to say goodbye to parents and join us for Opening Ceremonies to kick off O-Week (approximately 4:00 pm).

    It is important that you arrive during the designated window of time provided to move into residence. The times (roughly) are:

    • - 9:00 am -12:00 pm – O’Neil (broken down further into specific times for each wing of the Residence)
    • - 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm – Hellmuth
    • - 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm – Southwest
    • - 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm – Houses
  • What Is Not Allowed In My Residence Room?

    Please note the following items are not allowed in residence:

    • - microwave, toaster oven, hot pot, rice cookers, indoor grills, drip coffee makers
    • - candles, incense, air diffusers
    • - vapes, bongs, hookah pipes
    • - subwoofers or amplifiers for stereo systems
    • - black lights, lava lamps, coloured bulb lights, halogen-based lamps
    • - heaters or heat lamps
    • - pets of any kind (fish, reptiles, rodents, included)
  • What Items Are Allowed In My Residence Room?

    Please note the following items are approved to bring to residence:

    • - mini-fridge (3 cu. feet or less – 19.25” deep x 18” wide x 25” high)
    • - kettles, keurig machines
    • - small fan
    • - electric power bars
    • - water-based air diffusers (perfumed sticks in a jar)
    • - hair dryer, hair straightener
    • - dishes (one setting, mugs, glasses)
    • - laundry basket and detergent
    • - linens, towels, toiletries (shower bad or caddy is highly recommended to bring items into shower area with you)
    • - pushpins or tacks to hang items on the wall


  • What makes Huron different?

    • We have remained strategically small to ensure faculty and staff can provide personalized and caring environments that nurture our students’ individual gifts and position them for the best-possible university experience.
    • We refuse to conform to the trend that attempts to devalue a Liberal Arts education because we know diverse and balanced course offerings endow our students with transferrable skills best prepare them for the modern job market.
    • Our university prioritizes character development, as much as academic excellence, so when you leave here, you’ll have the knowledge, skills and passion to actively shape the world.
    • All of our classes are taught by professors, not teaching assistants, so your classroom experiences, from lectures to grading, will always be consistent and you’ll have the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with people who want to positively influence your future.
    • We’ve established local and international partnerships that set our students a part: we are Ontario’s only Harvard Business School HBX partner and we also offer the dual degree program with Ivey Business School
  • What does attending an affiliate university mean for me?

    • When it comes to Huron, being an affiliate means belonging to the founding institution of Western University, located within the heart of main campus just steps away from the University Community Centre and Weldon Library.
    • You will receive a Western University degree with a distinction from our university.
    • You have access to Western’s course offerings, club, teams and facilities, while being able to call a more tight-knit and inclusive community home.
    • You’ll also be able to take advantage of courses, learning opportunities and events at the university’s other two affiliates, Brescia and King’s.
  • What kind of financial support can I receive to attend Huron?

    • Huron offers a wide array of bursaries and scholarships to reward students for their exceptional academic achievement and community involvement. Read more about our scholarships and bursaries. 
    • Our most prestigious scholarship is the Hellmuth: each year, 10 eligible students will receive this award, which entitles them to receive $30,000 over four years. 
    • Our financial aid and accounting support team can also help you navigate various options for government and other external avenues to help finance your post-secondary education.
    • If you’re interested in pursuing a Master’s Degree within the Faculty of Theology, you may receive financial support specific to this faculty.
  • How do I apply to become a Huron student?

    • Each student’s application process may be different, dependent on where they’re from, which program(s) they’re applying to and a wide variety of other influencers specific to that applicant and their situation. However, generally, this is the process:
    • Step 1: Submit your Application. All applicants requesting full-time admission to Huron must apply through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (www.ouac.ca). Complete the online 101 form if you are a current Ontario high school student, or the OUAC 105 form for all other applicants. Please note, Huron is found within Western University.
    • Step 2: Send Supporting Documents. All students who are not attending an Ontario High School must produce transcripts. Transcripts can be sent directly to Huron's Admission's Office. Additional Admission Forms can be completed to support your application.
    • Step 3: Confirm your Attendance. To accept Huron's Offer of Admission online, please confirm on your OUAC account. 
    • Time is of the essence! The application recommended deadline for international applicants is May 15. Applicants are encouraged to send transcripts as soon as one full term/semester of their final year has been completed.
Important Residence Info

Residence - General Information

  • How Do I Apply For Residence?

    Once you have received and accepted an offer to attend Huron, you may apply for a spot in residence. The online application process begins on March 30, 2020. Visit the Residence Application page and follow the directions. You will need your Western ID and PIN, and you must pay a deposit as part of the application process in order to be considered for a spot in residence. If you have any questions about the application process, please email huronrez@huron.uwo.ca

  • I am domestic student. What is the Cost of Deposit and Terms and Conditions of the Application Process?

    Domestic students are required to pay a $1,000 deposit to submit an application for residence. There are a number of options for payment including paying online with a credit card. All payment methods and instructions are outlined in detail as part of the application process.

    If you withdraw your application prior to July 15, you will receive a 50% refund, the balance being a non-refundable administration fee. After July 15, 2020, the entire deposit is non-refundable unless your Residence Application is not accepted. If you are not offered a space in Residence, you will be advised that your name is on a waiting list. If, during the time your name is on the waiting list, you withdraw your application, in writing, before we offer you accommodation, your entire initial payment will be refunded. If an offer of accommodation is made and you refuse the offer, the entire initial payment will be forfeited. If you cancel your contract, you must notify the Residence Manager in writing immediately.

    In the event the Huron’s residence buildings are unable to open in September 2020 as a result of a government directive or for health and safety reasons related to the COVID-19 virus, the residence deposit will be fully refunded.

  • I am an International Student. What is the Cost of Deposit and Terms and Conditions of the Application Process?

    International students are required to pay a $5,000 deposit to submit an application for residence. There are a number of options for payment including wire transfer. If you have already paid part of your tuition fees, your deposit will be taken from that fee payment. You will be instructed to contact Huron to be manually bypassed around the deposit payment and continue with the application process.

    The $5,000 deposit payment is non-refundable unless a) you are denied a student visa to study in Canada; b) Huron withdraws its offer of admission to you; or c) you are not offered a spot in the residence. In any of these cases, your deposit will be refunded.

    In the event the Huron’s residence buildings are unable to open in September 2020 as a result of a government directive or for health and safety reasons related to the COVID-19 virus, the residence deposit will be fully refunded.

  • When is the Deadline to Apply for Residence?

    Online applications will be accepted between the dates of March 30 and June 3 at 12:00 pm (noon), 2020. Any applications received after 12:00 pm (noon) on June 3 will be considered for any remaining available openings in any of the five residential buildings.

  • Is Residence Guaranteed and is it a Lottery System?

    Residence is not guaranteed; however, with over 90% of our rooms dedicated to first-year students, we expect that most who apply will be placed in residence. Applications will be approved for placement based on a number of factors including a completed application (deposit received and all questions answered), and the date the application is received. The earlier you apply the more likely you are to receive a spot. Anyone who does not receive a room will be placed on a wait list and if or when rooms become available, students will be contacted from the top of the wait list and offered accommodations.

  • What Is the Difference Between Each Building?

    Each of the residence buildings have some unique and distinctive aspects about them in terms of size, style, and types of rooms, as well as the placement of students to create specific communities within them. A brief description for each of these buildings can be found in the Student Life section of the website.

    Henderson House
    10-room mid-century modern house, single residence rooms, reserved for upper-year students. Full kitchen and laundry amenities are included in this building, as well as shared washrooms and two common areas. Located at the back of the campus, 5-7 minutes walking distance to the main campus building.

    Brough House
    Brough House is a 19-room, 3-story home, of mostly single rooms but a few doubles. Full kitchen and laundry amenities are included, as well as a large common area and a large shared dining room space. Ideal for students who prefer more privacy and smaller numbers for sharing living space. Sits beside Henderson House at the back of the campus.

    Southwest is made up of suite-style rooms that include 4 private bedrooms, 2 shared washrooms, a common seating area, and a small kitchenette space (does not include cooking appliances). Southwest is reserved for students with a high admission average and an interest in living in an Academic Living and Learning Community. Students will be selected based upon their interest and entrance average, but placement in Southwest is a random lottery system through the online application program. Suitemate requests cannot be accommodated for Southwest.

    Most rooms in Hellmuth are single, with double rooms in a ‘pod’ arrangement located on each of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. Pod double rooms have access to a washroom shared amongst the 4 students living within each double room (located next to one another). Requests for roommates will be accommodated to the best of our ability. If you wish to live with or near a friend, a Hellmuth double pod is your best bet! Common areas are located on each of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors, with a larger common area located on the ground floor. The Hellmuth residence is attached to one wing of the main campus building and is one of two residences (the other is Southwest) that make up the Academic Living Learning Community.

    Our largest residence on campus, O’Neil/Ridley is made up of three floors, two wings per floor, and entirely single rooms. Students may wish to live in a “pod”, which is a cluster of single rooms with a shared washroom (between 4-7 students in each pod), accessible only to those students located in the pod area. Shared gender-specific washrooms are located on each floor in each wing, with a number of single gender-neutral washrooms also available for use.

  • Do I Need to Pay for a Meal Plan if I am Living in Residence?

    Yes. It is a requirement for all students who live in residence to purchase a full meal plan.

  • Can I Choose My Roomate?

    You may select a roommate for placement in our double rooms in Hellmuth. All other requests (for instance, to live close to friends within the same residence) may be considered with the exception of Southwest. Due to the high demand and low number of rooms, placement in Southwest is a random allocation determined by the online application system. Suitemates requests will not be considered for the Southwest residence.

  • What Living Learning Communities Does Huron Residence Offer?

    Huron currently has two Living Learning communities available for students.

    The Academic Living Learning Community, located in both Southwest and Hellmuth, is ideal for students who desire living arrangements that are most conducive to focus and quiet studying, as well as programming and floor events that promote academic success.

    The Leadership Living Learning Community is ideal for students interested in student leadership opportunities and plan to get involved in various clubs or student government while at Huron.

    In addition to our Living Learning Communities, students may also indicate an interest in living amongst non-drinking students (alcohol-free community), students interested in volunteering or community engagement, or students that identify as allies of the LGBTQ2+ community. We will do our best to place students in close proximity to one another who have identified any of these areas as preferable for living arrangements, in order to facilitate community development, or to giving priority to placement within requested Living Learning Communities.

  • What Do I Need To Do After Getting Accepted Into Residence At Huron?

    Once your application has been received in full (all questions answered and deposit received) you will be sent a series of documents to read, sign electronically, and return to us. Confirmation of your placement in residence will not be sent out until these documents have been returned via email.

    The documents for review include the Residence Handbook, the Residence Code of Conduct, and the Huron Promise, a pledge we have developed highlighting our expectations around behaviour and attitudes that reflect our commitment to diversity, acceptance, integrity, and community.

    Confirmation for room and building allocation will be sent to your email mid- to late July. The Residence Handbook will include all the details you need to know about what you can and cannot bring with you into the Residence, and the most important information you need to be successful while living on campus. Throughout the summer, you will also receive various emails and notifications related to Move-In Day and O-Week. Please continue to check your email as well as our Huron website, for ongoing updates.



  • How do I get my gown and hood for convocation?

    Pre-order your regalia via the Student Center. Be sure to take notice of Western’s deadline to order.

  • Where do I get my graduation photos taken?

    Huron students can learn more about having their photos taken and book an appointment here.  

  • What if I can’t make it to graduation?

    If you are unable to attend your Convocation ceremony, you may receive your degree here.

Academic Advising and Services

Academic Advising and Services

  • What is a letter of permission?

    Letter of Permission (Student Process) is an agreement between Huron and another university. This agreement confirms that the student who has applied for the Letter of Permission is in good standing at Huron University and that Huron agrees to have the credit taken at the host institution transferred back to the student's degree at The University of Western Ontario. 

    Students need a 70% cumulative average to take a course on a letter of permission.  

    Students must download and fill out the Request for Letter of Permission.  Once completed, please email letter to huronsss@uwo.ca.  

  • How can I tell if I got into my program?

    Students select their intended program/ module in February.  Once grades are in - usually in late May the university determines if students have met the admission requirements for the module they selected.  Students can see these adjudication results on Student Center.

    Log in to Student Center, under My Academic, choose View My Grades. Select the tab marked Grade Report. Ensure you are looking at the correct term, select it and read the Remarks at the bottom of the grade report box.

  • Why didn’t I get into my program?

    Check the admission requirements for the module you are interested in.  Did you take the required course?  Did you obtain the average required?  60% for a major; 70% -75% for some Honours specializations.  If you are still confused, contact advising, huronsss@uwo.ca



  • How do I add/drop a course?

    Follow the link here for instructions on how to add/drop a course online.

    Note once classes begin you will need to come in to the office to add/drop a course.  

    Pay close attention to deadlines!  Students can only drop and add courses for a limited time as specified by the academic calendar.  Dropping a course after the deadline results in an ‘F’ on your transcript.  Refunds depend on the drop date.  The last day to receive a partial refund in the fall is Sept. 14th and in the winter is Feb. 15th.  

    March 7 - last day to drop a 2nd half course without academic penalty

    Please find the link for further information on deadlines here.

    If you are receiving OSAP there may be financial ramifications for dropping a course.  There also may be financial ramifications for changing from part-time to full-time status.  If adding a course will bring you to full-time status (3.5 courses) make sure you discuss the cost with your advisor.  

  • What are the add/drop deadlines?

    Pay close attention to academic calendar.  Dropping a course after the deadline results in an ‘F’ on your transcript.  Refunds depend on the drop date.  The last day to receive a partial refund in the fall is Sept. 14th and in the winter is Feb. 15th.  

    Sept. 14 – last day to add a first term half course or full course.
    Nov. 12 – last day to drop a first term half course without academic penalty
    Nov. 30 – last day to drop a full course without academic penalty

  • What do course suffixes mean?

    Common suffixes for Huron courses are: 
    •    A (0.5 first term, non essay course
    •    B (0.5 second term non essay course)
    •    E (1.0 essay course)
    •    F (0.5 first term essay course)
    •    G (0.5 second term essay course

     Detailed explanations can be found  on the Academic Calendar.  



  • Help! This is my first set of exams, what do I do?

    Stay calm.  If you have attended classes and kept up on the readings you are already in a good position to do well on the exam.  Make a study plan.  Determine when you will study and which subject.  Is one subject more difficult than others?  Plan to allot more study time to that subject. 
    Keep in mind how you study.  Do you study best in quiet?  With others around you?  In a group?  While moving around?  Try to incorporate how you study best into your plan.  Research shows taking short breaks (e.g. after 50 min. of studying) can help with retention of material.  

    During the year Learning Skills Services offers sessions on Managing Test Stress, Writing Multiple Choice and more.  These sessions are part of your tuition and could provide you with some helpful tips.  They offer handouts and advice on exam preparation.    The library also houses books on study skills that may be useful.

  • What are legitimate reasons for missing an exam?

    Students who miss an exam can be accommodated for medical, religious and compassionate grounds (death in the family). Missing a final exam is a serious situation and requires students to submit documentation to support their absence. You can find more information about Huron's requirements and policies at Academic Accommodation.  

    Travel is not a reason to miss an exam.  Do not schedule holidays, vacations, etc. during the entire exam period.  If your exam falls on a date that conflicts with a religious tradition you must notify the Academic Advising office at least two weeks in advance of the exam.

  • What happens if I miss an exam?

    If you are unable to write a final exam as scheduled, you must meet with an Academic Advisor within five days to request permission to write a Special Examination. 


    Be sure to notify your professor that you will be unable to write the exam at its originally scheduled time.


    Be prepared to provide written documentation to your Academic Advisor that verifies the reason that you are unable to write the exam as scheduled. 


    Provided that your documentation is appropriate, your Academic Advisor will complete a Recommendation for a Special Examination Form.


    Your instructor must sign the Recommendation for a Special Examination Form. If the course is on another campus, the Department Chair will also need to sign the form. You are then to return it to an Academic Advisor for final approval before the special exam date. 


    You must make these arrangements within five (5) business days of the missed exam so that you do not miss a scheduled makeup exam.  


    Email huronsss@uwo.ca to make an appointment.  

  • What is a Special Exam?

    A Special Examination is any exam other than the regularly scheduled exam or Supplemental Exam. A Special Exam may be offered only with the permission of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, and in consultation with the course instructor and Department Chair. Permission for a Special Exam starts in the Academic Advising Office. Proper documentation is required prior to an appointment with an Academic Advisor. 

    Special exams are normally written no later than one month after the end of the examination period.

  • What is the procedure for making up a final exam?

    Requests for a make-up exam are granted only on medical, religious, or compassionate grounds.

    Exams will start at 9 a.m. [Students with two exams will write the second at 1p.m.].  There are separate dates for Brescia, King's and Western courses. 


    How to request a make-up exam:


    1. Obtain documentation to support your absence.

    Medical: Download the Student Medical Certificate form. Have the form completed by a physician. You have five days after the exam date has passed to turn in medical documentation, but be sure to see your doctor on the day you are ill, and not afterwards.


    Religious: Read the policy for Exam Accommodation based on Religious Grounds. Documentation is not necessarily needed, but you do need to follow these steps two weeks before the exam. 


    Compassionate: These are extra-ordinary circumstances beyond your control; death in the family, immediate family member gravely ill, court appearance, house fire, etc. Suitable documentation includes: death certificate, link to an obituary, court documents, insurance papers.


    2. Take your documentation to Student Support Services (W 45). The Advisor will fill out a Recommendation for Special Exam form.


    3.  Take the Special Exam form provided by the Academic Advisor to the course instructor for signature. By signing the form, the instructor agrees to set the exam.


    Please note: The signature of the instructor can take the form of an e-mail message indicating agreement with the relief sought, to be attached to the form that is returned to Student Support Services.


    4.  Return the Special Exam form to Student Support Services, W 45. If no form has been received back, signed, the student’s name will not go on the list of those allowed to sit the make-up exam.


    The following reasons for missing an exam are not accommodated through Academic Advising:

    • Book a flight and are not able to make the date of the exam because you won't be in London
    • Family booked a vacation and you'd like to join them
    • Summer job starts early
    • Forgot, you slept in, you wrote down the wrong room, etc.

    It is at your professor's discretion to grant a make-up exam for these reasons. Your professor will have to set the date and find a place for you to write. Your professor is under no obligation to accommodate your absence for reasons outside the official policy. 


Honk App (Parking)

  • How do I get the app?

    You can download the Honk app for free in the App Store or Google Play. Got a Blackberry? Just navigate to app.honkmobile.com in your browser and you’re on your way!

  • How do I sign up?

    Once you’ve downloaded the app, you can sign up with 4 pieces of information: email address, mobile phone number, license plate & payment info

  • What if I don’t have an iPhone or Android device?

    No problem! Honk works on any mobile device, simply visit Honk Mobile to search, find and pay for parking.

  • Do I need a credit card to sign up?

    A payment method isn’t required to sign up for a Honk account; however, you’ll need a valid VISA, MasterCard, Visa Debit, Masterpass or PayPal account to pay for your parking session. You can add as many payment methods as you’d like.

  • Can I be reminded that my parking is expiring?

    Absolutely! We send you a text message 15 minutes before your parking is about to expire. If you’re running late or need more time, you can easily extend your session right from your phone.

  • I have more than one vehicle plate number on my account. How can I make sure the correct vehicle is being parked each time?

    You can add multiple vehicles to your Honk account. When paying by phone, you can pick the license plate of the vehicle you’re parking. For faster checkout, you can set a plate as your primary vehicle so it’ll be selected for you automatically.

  • How can I find out if my parking was processed?

    Once you’ve paid for parking, we’ll email you a receipt. You can view all your transactions by visiting the Receipts page in your profile.

  • What if I pay for parking for the wrong license plate?

    Mistakes happen. Please make another purchase (right away so you don’t get a ticket!) with the correct license plate and email us BOTH invoices to: support@honkmobile.com. We will refund the first purchase

  • How does parking enforcement know I’ve paid?

    Good question! We partner with lot operators to serve a real-time list of license plates who’ve paid using app. You don’t need a ticket stub or receipt to place on the dashboard.

  • I received a parking ticket but I paid by phone. What happened?

    Honk works with lot operators to ensure their enforcement officers have the most up-to-date information about parkers, but mistakes can happen. If a ticket is issued, please let us know through email at support@honkmobile.com and we’ll get it cleared up for you.

Intent to Register

Intent to Register

  • What Is ITR?

    Intent to Register (ITR) is the process in which students inform their faculty that they will be returning for the next academic year and note which program they would like to pursue.

  • Why Do I Need To Complete My ITR?

    All returning students must complete their ITR for the following reasons:

    • To continue in their current program
    • To request a program change
    • To receive an enrolment appointment which is required to be able to enroll in courses for the next academic year; course selection typically begins in June and students can continue enrolling in courses until the add date in September
  • When Do I Need To Complete My ITR?

    All returning students must complete their ITR through their Student Centre each academic year between February 1 and March 31.

  • How Do I Complete My ITR?

    Students can complete their ITR through their Student Centre under "Western Links" > "Complete My ITR". Refer to the ITR training manual for additional information.

  • What Do I Select for Faculty/Affiliate University College?

    Select "Huron" as your faculty/affiliate university college

  • Is My Program Considered BA Social Science Or BA Arts?

    Bachelor of Arts (BA) Social Science programs include CGS, Economics, Political Science, History, GLE, and Psychology. Bachelor of Arts (BA) Arts programs include East Asia Studies, Japanese, French, English and Cultural Studies, Jewish Studies, and Philosophy.

  • What If I Change My Mind About My Program But I've Already Completed My ITR?

    Provided it is before March 31, you can complete your ITR again and it will override your previous ITR submission. If it is after March 31, please connect with your Academic Advisor.

  • When Will I Know If I Got Into the Program I Selected On My ITR?

    Your academic record will be reviewed to determine eligibility for your selected program once all of your final grades are posted. Your program will be updated on your Student Centre during the summer.

  • What If I Don't Get Into The Program That I Selected on My ITR?

    Students are encouraged to select a second choice while doing their ITR in case they are not eligible for their first choice. If you are not eligible for your first or second choice, you will be put into another program or your status will be "Undeclared".

  • What Happens If My Module Requirements Have Changed?

    Sometimes a discipline will review their modules and change the module requirements. If this happens, you can still follow the module from the year in which you entered the program. If you have any questions about this, you can contact the office at huronsss@uwo.ca.



  • Where can I find tuition amounts and residence and meal plan payment info?

    You can find the fee schedules under our Money Matters page, click here.

  • When will I know the amount of my fees to Huron?

    Huron Student Statements will be generated in mid-July or after students begin enrolling in courses for September.  If you are in residence, the residence and meal plan fees will be on the statement by the beginning of August. 

  • Where can I see my Huron Student Statement?

    Statements are accessed online here.  Please sign in with your Western ID and password. 

    Student Finance Statements for the academic year will be available until June (following the academic year), after which they will no longer be accessible from the portal. Please print/save a copy of your statement for your records.

    You can also get a receipt for your payments by printing a copy of your statement. Note that you CANNOT access your Huron Student Statement through the Western University Student Centre as they will not have your fees. 

  • What happens if I do not pay my tuition fees? 

    If you do not pay your tuition fees, late fees will be applied and your account will be sealed. This means you will be unable to change your courses, retrieve your grades, apply for the next academic year, get a letter from the registrar’s office, receive official transcripts, or graduate. 

    Huron reserves the right to de-register students from courses for non-payment. Students will not be reinstated into courses until payment is made in full. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be able re-enroll in a course once deregistration has occurred. Unpaid accounts will ultimately be sent to a collection agency. 

  • How can I pay my tuition and residence?

    We do not accept credit card payments for tuition and residence fees but you can use any of the options below:

    • Online/Telephone banking (from a Canadian bank account): ensure the payee is Huron University College or Huron University College Tuition. The account number is your 9 digit student number (preferred and quickest method)
    • Debit (in person) : Room W37
    • Cheque/ Money Order/ Bank Draft: payable to Huron University College with the 9 digit student number on the memo section. Can be brought in person to room W37 or mailed to the address below:

      Huron University College 1349 Western Road London, Ontario N6G 1H3 Attn: Student Billing
    • International Transfers:

      Western Union GlobalPay

      Wire transfer;
      The Bank of Nova Scotia Bank
      Address: 44 King Street West, Toronto ON M5H 1H1 Canada
      Swift Code/ BIC Address: NOSCCATT
      Account Number/IBAN (Include ALL 12 digits): 000420241415
      Transit/Routing/ABA Number: 00042
      Account Name: Huron University College
      Reference/Payment Details: 9 digit student number
      Institution number if requested: 002
  • When are tuition fees and residence fees due?

    Tuition and residence fees are due in full by August 1st for international students and August 15th for domestic students.

    If you are paying by instalment, the first instalment is due August 1st for international students and August 16th for domestic students. The second instalment is due by December 1st. 

    Note: Move-in to residence will not be permitted if your first instalment is unpaid.

  • Can I pay in installments?

    Yes. You are allowed to pay in 2 instalments; the first is due on August 1st (for international students) or August 15th (for domestic students) and the final instalment is due December 1st. 

  • I need a confirmation of enrollment for my RESP where can I get one?

    The Registrar’s Office processes all requests for confirmation/verification of enrollment. For requests, kindly fill out the Enrollment Verification Request Form.  Completed forms can be submitted to huron@uwo.ca or faxed to 519-438-3800.

  • Are there any fees I can opt out of?

    Students can opt out of the following fees:

    O-Pass Fee – This is for students participating in Orientation Week. ALL first year full-time students will be charged this fee. Opt-out period will open from July. To opt out click here.

    Health and Dental Plan – Full Time students are automatically enrolled in the USC Health and Dental Plan unless they can provide proof of pre-existing coverage. NOTE: The opt out period will be open from July to mid September. For more information on the plan or if you have any questions or concerns please visit contact https://www.studentbenefits.ca/  or contact USC’s Plan Administrator at usc@studentbenefits.ca.

  • Can I get a refund if I withdraw from courses?

    Refunds due to withdrawal from courses are available on a declining rate from September 1, 2020 and are based on the withdrawal date. Our Refund Policy will be online, click here by the beginning of September 2020.

  • What happens if I do not pay my tuition fees?

    If you do not pay your tuition fees, late fees will be applied and your account will be sealed. This means you will be unable to change your courses, retrieve your grades, apply for the next academic year, get a letter from the registrar’s office, and receive official transcripts or graduate. Unpaid accounts will ultimately be sent to a collection agency.

  • I have a credit on my account – how do I access this money.

    Refunds will be issued upon request. Please allow up to 6-8 weeks for the refund to be processed. To request your refund kindly contact Student Accounts at studentbilling@huron.uwo.ca.

  • Why can’t you just contact my parents or can my parents receive my financial information?

    Privacy legislation prevents Universities from contacting a third party. Students should complete a Release of Information form to allow financial information to be discussed with a supporting individual. Click here for more information. 

  • How do I get my tuition tax receipt (T2202A) and rent receipt?

    Tuition tax receipts are available by the last day of February each year, following the previous tax year end. To access your receipt, sign in to your Student Center under Tax Receipts section, click on My T2202A, and print the year you need.

    Ensure your browser’s pop up blocker is disabled to allow you to print your receipt. Universities are covered under special legislation. Most on campus housing are classified as “Prescribed Residences”. In these cases, residence payments cannot be used as rent on your income tax and landlord/tenant regulations do not apply. You can only claim up to a maximum of $25.

  • Who can I contact about my account?

    Please contact Alycia Armstrong at studentbilling@huron.uwo.ca, 519-438- 7224 x816, or in-person at the Student Accounts office, room W37.

Grade and Requirement to Withdraw

Grade and Requirement to Withdraw

  • What are progression requirements?

    Students are required to obtain a specific average in order to progress to their next year of study.  For first year students (attempted 3.0 or more courses) the average required is 55% to be in good standing and 50% to return on academic probation.  For students who have completed/ attempted 8.0 courses or more, the average required is 60% to be in good standing and 55% to return on academic probation.  Note to stay in your module (Specialization, Major, etc.) you usually need to maintain a specific average. Also note to graduate your cumulative average must be 60-65% depending on your program and degree.   

    Your degree checklist (degree checklists are found under Tools for Success on the left menu) and the Admission, Progression and Graduation chart can provide more information.  Our Academic Advisors are here to help you. 

  • I'm on probation. What does that mean?

    Probation refers to a student who does not satisfy the minimum progression requirements for continuation of study at Huron but who will be allowed to continue at the University under specific conditions. 

    The student must meet these conditions to continue in good standing at the university.

  • I think one of my grades was tabulated incorrectly. What can I do?

    Contact your professor to discuss the matter.  If not resolved contact the Chair of the Department.  Speak to academic advising for further information.

    Overall, the grounds for submitting a grade appeal may be one or more of the following: medical or compassionate circumstances, extenuating circumstances beyond the appellant's control, bias, inaccuracy or unfairness. All grounds advanced in a request for relief must be supported by a clear and detailed explanation of the reasons for the request together with all supporting documentation.

    The Ombudsperson serves both Huron and main campus students. They detail the step by step appeal process. Note grades may go up, down or stay the same in the grade appeal process. The first step in this process is to contact the professor.

  • Is there a deadline for grade appeals?

    Yes.  In the case of a final grade in a course, the written appeal must be submitted to the Chair of the department by the following dates: 

    • January Marks: January 31st 
    • April/May Marks: June 30th 
    • Intersession: July 31st 
    • Summer Evening: August 31st 
    • Summer Day: September 15th 
    • Spring/Summer Mediated Learning Courses: October 15th 
  • What occurs when you are required to withdraw?

    Students will be required to withdraw from the University for a period of 12 months if they do not satisfy the minimum Progression Requirements defined by the Western University Senate for continuation of study at Huron, or if they have exceeded the maximum number of failed courses allowed (6.0 courses).

    Students who are required to withdraw typically receive a letter from Western University advising them of their status and an email is sent to their uwo.ca email address.  If you are required to withdraw, there will also be a notation on your online grade report (on Student Centre).  If you are unsure of your status, please ask an Academic Advisor.

    Withdrawing from University for a minimum of 12 months can give you the time you need to review your academic goals, and to take positive steps towards positioning yourself to achieve them.  Students who have withdrawn for 12 months can reapply to the University in January before they wish to return to their studies.  Readmission documentation must occur through Ontario University Application Centre as well as to Huron.  Application for readmission does not guarantee that past students will be granted readmission.

    If you have experienced major problems during the academic year that were outside of your control and had a negative impact on your studies, you may apply for a Dean’s Waiver of Progression Requirements, which, if granted, the Waiver of Progression Requirements will allow you to return to University on probation.  For questions about submitting the Dean's Waiver, please contact Jennifer Morocco at jmorocc@uwo.ca or 519.438.7224 x702.

    Dean's Waiver Application form



  • United Kingdom - The Bader International Study Centre at Herstmonceux Castle

    Spend a semester studying in a fifteenth-century English castle!

    Huron University College has partnered with Queens University in Kingston, Ontario to offer upper year students the opportunity to study at the Bader International Study Centre (BISC), which is located at Herstmonceux Castle. 

    Students travel to BISC from all over the world. Huron students who have completed at least one full year of undergraduate studies can study in the Fall, Winter, or Summer term. Students travelling in the Fall or Winter term take 5 courses. Courses are available in Arts, Commerce, Cultural Studies, Psychology, International Politics and Humanities. 

    Summer at BISC is a 6-week program where students take 3 courses. Courses are available in Engineering, Global Health & Disabilities, Medieval Theatre Studies, and Archaeology. 

    Classes are held from Monday - Thursday. Fridays & Saturdays are reserved for experiential learning trips. Students who are taking 5 courses can expect to take 12-15 of these trips during their semester abroad. All trips are covered as part of the course fees you pay. 

    Tuition is paid to Queens. Fall & Winter tuition is $18,500CDN. Summer tuition ranges from $4000 - $9000CDN, depending on the program you take. This includes tuition, residence, meals & field trips. Students are responsible for their flights/transportation and any insurance, including health insurance. 

    Application deadlines: Fall - July 31; Winter - November 15; Summer - March 15

    Two new programs have just been added! Winter semesters of study in International Politics and Psychology are now available!

    For more information:

    Upper Year Programs
    Admission Requirements
    Apply Now

  • Information for Parents

    Huron's small campus gives us the opportunity to get to know your student in order to help them achieve their academic and post-graduation plans. Not only do we welcome students from over 29 countries, but we also encourage students to consider international experiences to enhance their education. Huron students can go abroad to study, volunteer, or work both through our programs or initiatives they seek out on their own. Parental support is an important part of a students' decision to go abroad and we hope to address any questions and concerns you may have as a parent of an international student or a student considering going abroad. 

    Benefits of Global Experience

    Curriculum enhancement: Going on exchange, studying abroad, or participating in Honduras is an extension of in-class learning. For example, a student studying the Japanese language can increase their mastery of the language by being immersed in Japan.
    Cost-effective: Exchange programs are an affordable way to have a global experience because exchange students pay tuition to Huron. Huron does offer scholarships and bursaries to help pay for the cost of studying abroad. 

    Personal growth: Students move outside of their "comfort zone" and adapt to different environments and situations. This can result in intellectual and social maturity as well as increased self-confidence. For example, students who participate in Huron in Honduras experience life in rural Honduras where running water and other taken-for-granted conveniences are not readily available thus exposing our students to an experience that is difficult to replicate in a classroom setting or through reading a book.

    Development of the soft-skills sought by employers: Students acquire many skills abroad that can be developed in their resumes and used in job interviews. Some of these skills include leadership, communication, adaptability, functional ability in another language, empathy and a deeper appreciation for differences and cultural diversity. It also adds an international dimension to the resume and academic record for graduate school.

    Networking: Grow professional and personal network through the experience.

  • Exchange Student stories

    Nicole Pyszka
    Huron Student

    People are always surprised to hear I’m studying Japanese.  I can’t say I blame them; it can be hard enough to keep up with what’s going on around you, much less another country so far away. However, the best way to learn about yourself is to learn about the world around you.  International experiences at Huron have shaped me into the person I am today. 

    In my third year, I went on a one yearlong foreign exchange through Huron University College to Kwansei Gakuin University in Nishinomiya, Japan.  It’s hard to imagine what a big decision it is to go abroad by yourself for an entire year and it’s even harder to illustrate how amazing it was.  I celebrated Japanese holidays that I hadn’t known existed, and sampled local food that I had never seen before.  Mountains appeared on every horizon and I took the train to school, and bowed to others instead of shaking hands.  I snapped more pictures than I could store, and had the support of my Huron community because my professors would email me to ask how I was doing.  Moreover, I felt challenged more than I ever had before which meant I was able growing in new ways.  I’ve become a braver and more open person, and I’ve learned the importance of living every day as an adventure, no matter where you are.

    However, when you’re a Huron student going abroad isn’t the only way to get globally involved.  Our peer guide program pairs international students with local Huron students for various trips and events.This is a great chance to meet new friends from around the world!

    Language learners practice their developing skills with native speakers, in weekly conversational circles while Huron language professors know you by name and always have their doors open helping students achieve their linguistic goals. 

    Finally, there are many events held celebrating different cultures like French Day.   Sample delicious French pastries and cheeses, or Japan Day, where you can try on a kimono and participate in a traditional Japanese tea ceremony.  These types of resources helped me to prepare for my exchange trip, and now I stay involved and practice in everything I’ve learned.  There are some things you can’t learn in a classroom! Exchange trips provide moments that fill in these missing parts.  After all, learning a new language is about connecting with people, so what better way than to join a community who encourages diversity and creates many opportunities for you to learn from each other. 

    Furthermore, Huron University College sees the value of student’s international involvement and embraces this opportunity. 

    In my fourth year, I was honoured to be nominated by my language professors to be one of two students from Ontario chosen to participate in this year’s 2018 Kakehashi Project as a cultural diplomat. Funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Japan, the Kakehashi Project brings students from Canada to Japan for a week to promote mutual understanding and friendship.  I was able to experience so many different parts of Japanese culture, from the busy streets of Tokyo to quiet hot springs, and shrines alongside Japanese university students.  It was a great privilege to be chosen as a participant and I’ll never forget the kindness and generosity shown by the Japanese government in wanting to strengthen the bond of global friendship we share.

    Although Huron is known for its small-sized campus, the amount of resources and support available to students with an interest in international affairs goes beyond London, Ontario – and even Canada. So, when people are surprised by my choice of major, it’s because Japan is unique to our culture.   

    I am a long way from home – it makes me smile, thanks to Huron, it doesn’t feel far away at all.

  • Prospective Partners

    Huron is always looking to expand relationships with other organizations to open up our campus as well as to send our students to yours.

Scholar's Electives Program

Scholar's Electives Program

  • What courses are available in Scholar's Electives Program?

    IDIS 1101 and IDIS 1102

Orientation Week

Orientation Week

  • When is move-in day?

    Huron’s Move-in Day is on Sunday, September 6, 2020. If you’re a future student who has accepted their offer at Huron, you will receive communication about Move-in Day and Orientation Week in late July. For more information, please contact our Student Engagement Coordinator at neldahan@uwo.ca
  • Who are Sophs?

    Sophs are Huron’s upper-year students who are your orientation leaders and automatic friends! They help you move into residence, explore our campus, and orient you to what is available to you for support and what you can expect in your first year. Sophs are around the entire week to take you to events on Huron and Western campus.
  • What is an OPass?

    First year students attending Orientation Week can pick-up their OPass and OKit on Sunday, September 6th, 2020 from the Registration Area on campus. Your OPass will give you access to Western, Huron, Brescia, and Kings events during Orientation Week. It is important to keep your OPass on you throughout the entire week.
  • What is the difference between Welcome Week and Orientation Week?

    The week before Orientation Week (OWeek), is Huron’s International Welcome Week. It is a pre-orientation for our international students to ensure they are set up for success before Orientation Week starts. Orientation Week is Sunday, September 6 to Sunday, September 13, 2020. It is a week filled with events, competitions, concerts, and academic orientation.
  • Do I have to participate in Orientation Week?

    Incoming students can opt-out of attending OWeek. However, we strongly encourage you to take part in OWeek because it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You will have the unique opportunity to connect with incoming students from your program, in your residence and across Huron, Western, Brescia and Kings during that week. The OPass gives access to all events happening at Huron and Western, including concerts, networking events, international events, and social events.
  • When can I pick up my Student Card?

    If you have submitted your Western One photo before the deadline, we will have your student card available for pick up on Sunday, September 6 from the Registration Area on Huron campus. If you have submitted your Western One photo after the deadline, we will be happy to take you to Western Student Services on Sunday, September 6 to pick-up your student card.

    If you’re an international student, your Western One card will be available for pick-up from your International Student Engagement Coordinators at the beginning of Welcome Week.

    If you are moving in early, your Western One card will be available for pick-up from Huron’s Student Support Services.

    If you arrive on campus past move-in day, your Western One card will be available for pick-up from Huron’s Student Support Services.
  • Where can I find Huron’s Orientation Week (OWeek) 2020 schedule?

    Huron’s OWeek schedule will be released in late-August and will be available on our Huron website, on your residence floor, in your Orientation Kit (OKit), on Western’s Orientation page (oweek.ca) and on our social media pages. As well, all students participating in OWeek will receive an email with all the information they need prior to the start of OWeek.

    For more information, please contact our Student Engagement Coordinator at neldahan@uwo.ca